Saturday, September 08, 2007

ナエちゃん and whatever it means

I don't speak Japanese. I don't read it either. This is never really much of a problem. Occasionally, food or a toy will find its way to me and it is inscribed with naught but Japanese characters. I will usually ask Dan to translate at some point. It never really bothers me. I know トトロ is totoro. That's about it.

But I was playing a video game--enjoying myself marvelously--and traded via the interwebbernets with someone (be them in Japan or a big fat fan of Japan) who named their critter ナエちゃん. When the excitement wore off, I found myself slightly put out. I have been placed in a situation where I cannot call this creature by name because his name happens to be ナエちゃん which means NOTHING to me except "you can't read me!"

Well, more interwebbing has brought to the conclusion this... ナエちゃん must be the japanese title of said creature. But, I am suspicious... I think ちゃん is -chan. Maybe... I poured over the katakana and hiragana for a while. Half the name is katakana, the other half is hiragana. That's weird to me... not weird in general. Just weird, to me.

UPDATE: Also! This person I traded with? They are パ-ル

1 comment:

Dolyn said...

I think it's something along the lines of Naechan, with the e like egg.

Sorry, I studied Japanese for almost 2 years and...yeah, I don't remember as much as I should. I'm considering picking it back up again for fun. =/

<3 U Al