Thursday, September 06, 2007

Growth

Today I finally realized I'm not mature enough for many things. I mean, honestly. I often feel like I'm very mature because I get to do things which, to me, have always seemed so very "grown up." Like driving. I drive. Hurray. But I also like video games and comics. Which isn't bad, per say, merely... childish. Repeat, it isn't bad and doesn't make me any less of anything. It's just not something I can utilize in my social interactions with my adult friends.

I have a lot of growing up to do. Someday, I'm sure, I'll move past many things that I enjoy now. Onto other things, which I will enjoy as well. I can't pin point a time in which I will, but I will all the same. I moved on from carebears, and the like. Now those are memories. Fond ones. And someday, this will be too. I have no problem with that. I will enjoy them while I do.

I will also, though, build up the more mature aspects of my life. Reading, thinking, et cetera. I will develop more self-discipline and an even stronger desire to serve. I know I am mature in some ways. When I don't feel like I have my mom taking care of me, I take care of things myself. I don't mind, either. I clean up messes, do the dishes, and even go to bed at a decent hour. It's just that I know it won't get done unless I do it. And I want things done.

Someday, I will mature more fully. And I will aim towards it. But if I force myself to get rid of things I enjoy for the sake of maturity, I will regret it and be a little bitter towards myself. I will also have a lingering sentiment towards those things, which will never quite vanish. And then, I'll always be a little immature.

No comments: